>  Sandy , you asked:
>          I am interested in gathering information, suggestions, etc. about
>strategies for marketing tutoring centers.
>How do you get the students to "drop in" that
>first time?  How do you "sell" your center to the students?  Do you
>conduct any fund raisers?

Here at Des Moines Area Community College, the tutoring program uses
multiple advertising strategies. During their initial tour conducted by an
academic advisor or a current student, prospective students are walked
through the building containing our Academic Achievement Center, Writing
Lab, and Tutoring Center. Advisors who conduct the ASSET testing for
incoming groups mention the services again. During the first two weeks of
each term, AAC and Writing Lab instructors try to visit each writing and
most math classes to distribute flyers and give a brief (5-minute)
presentation on the services of the three programs.

In addition, we've just completed a brochure entitled "Developmental
Education at DMACC" (Do you like the title, Gene Beckett?), which outlines
the services of these three programs as well as special needs, college
adaptor courses, and the ESL program. These brochures will be distributed
by our advisors during recruiting trips and by advisors and counselors on
campus,

It goes without saying, I suppose, that the most effective recruiting tool
is still probably word of mouth: either concerned instructors or satisfied
students (or should I say customers?)

Sue Wickham
Academic Achievement Center
DMACC