I suspect that many of you are not out there but are at CRLA.  Whenever
you do get this message, I'd like to hear from some of you.  At the
University of Pittsburgh Learning Skills Center, we are staff in student
affairs under a full-time 12 month appointment.  Due to budget
constraints, we are being asked to consider either 9 or 10 month
appointments instead of 12 month.  My personal feeling is that, as the
Director, I would rather keep a full staff working fewer months, than to
have to cut positions and maintain 12 month appointments.  I know of one
other learning center that experienced this in recent years and I'll be
talking with Susan Clark Thayer at Suffolk University to find out how it
has worked for her and her staff.  If any other of your programs have
been through this type of transition, or if any of you standardly have 9
or 10 month contracts, I'd like to hear the advantages and disadvantages
of such an arrangement.

Sincerely,

Georgine Materniak
University of Pittsburgh