Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 21:02:59 -0400
From: Marjan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: developing IT use
Sender: "Higher Education Processes Discussion (HEPROC)"
To: Multiple recipients of list HEPROC-L <[log in to unmask]>
Approved-By:  Carl Reimann <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

I'm sure I have already written to this list before about
our IT activities here at Otago University. We have what we
call Computer Resource Rooms scattered around campus, giving
free access to computers to students. These computers have
installed software packages for wordprocessing, graphics,
databases, graphing etc. and also access to Telnet, Gopher,
WWW (Netscape). All students may apply for a free email
account.

One of my activities (apart from creating small CAL
programs) is to work with lecturers at integrating
technology in their curriculum.

Examples: assignments which require using Microsoft Word and
EndNote to create an annotated bibliography. Using CD ROM
searches, library online searches, and using Telnet to
access remote libraries.  Use of email and a class
maillistfor class communication.  Assignments which require
students to subscribe to overseas maillists and observe the
communication, and write an annotated maillist description.
assignments which require the use of the program Storyspace
(TM) from Eastgate to create a 'knowledge web' of the course
content.

Purpose: to show students how they can use computers
productively in their learning and research.

I do a lot of PR when I move around campus, give seminars
regularly and at any gathering I will talk to an academic
and ask what they teach, and suggest ways in which computers
might fit in their curriculum.  I seek out problems:
problems in getting subject matter across, or in student
understanding, and look at ways in which computers may or
may not help.

Marjan Lousberg <[log in to unmask]>
Manager Computer Assisted Learning Unit
Computing Services Centre, University of Otago