LEARNASST PARTICIPATION REQUEST FOR REVISION OF CAS STANDARDS AND
GUIDELINES FOR LEARNING ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS

FROM:  Martha Maxwell and Georgine Materniak
DATE:   May 17, 1995

Introduction

We need your response in revising and updating the 1985 Council for the
Advancement of Standards (CAS) STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES FOR LEARNING
ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS.  Revisions made to this draft to date are a
compilation of suggestions from members of CRLA, ACPA, NADE, MCLCA, The
Winter Institute, and many individual professionals.  We ask that you
join us in this revision and to give us your suggestions and criticisms.
The strength of this document is in its representation!

Background

CAS is comprised of 26 professional associations in higher education.
Those member organizations of special interest to our profession are
CRLA, NADE, ACPA (Commission XVI), AHEAD, and NCEOA. CAS has developed a
set of general standards comprised of 13 topics: Mission, Program,
Leadership, Organization and Management, Human Resources, Financial
Resources, Facilities and Equipment, Legal Responsibilities, Equal
Opportunity, Access and Affirmative Action, Campus and Community
Relations, Diversity, Ethics, and Assessment and Evaluation.  We will be
posting each of these topics separately.

Document Format

Each topic begins with a General Standard statement for that topic which
is printed on the learnasst version in capital letters.  The General
Standards put forth by CAS "provide direction and strategy for
professional practice in higher education programs and services and for
promoting quality programs and services for students".   The General
Standard is the common core for all functional areas. General Standard
statements are permanent and not part of the revision.

The General Standard for a topic is followed by Standards and Guidelines
for a particular professional practice, in our case, Learning Assistance
Programs.   The Learning Assistance Program  Standards and Guidelines
interpret the General Standards as they specifically apply to learning
assistance.  Standard statements typically include the word "must"
because they are considered to be essential elements.  Guidelines
interpret how the standard is often put into practice and these use words
such as "can" or "could" or "may".

Intended Purpose

The CAS Standards are intended to serve "higher education programs and
services for students by providing:

        - Measures of program and services effectiveness.
        - Designs for program and service development and assessment.
        - Criteria for institutional self-studies and preparation for accreditation.
        - Opportunities for staff development.
        - Directions for student learning and development.
        - Frameworks for accountability.

Process

Our deadline for this near-final draft is that it is to be completed in a
month.  This means that the turn-around time on learnasst is short.  You
can respond to any or all of the 13 topics.  At the end of each topic, we
ask that in addition to your specific responses, please respond to some
general questions attached to the end of the topic.  All responses should
be e-mailed to Georgine Materniak at the University of Pittsburgh using
this address:

Each of the 13 topics will be placed on learnasst beginning with the
Mission section.  Keep your eyes open for them and refer back to this
introductory message for basic information about the project.

We look forward to hearing from you!  Thank you for participating.

reminder: Send responses to [log in to unmask]