In looking at what I wanted to really know about the courses
that I teach, I developed a feedback process that has helped
me to personally evaluate my own effectiveness as well as
the application of the skills that I am teaching to the
students to the course.  The course goals for all the
courses in the computer information systems curriculum
include the development of analysis, synthesis, and
operational planning skills.  Therfore, at the end of each
course, I ask the students to apply these same skills that
we have been developing during the course to the course
itself.  This includes going back to the stated goals of the
course, the processes used, the human and information input
that is required, the system for feedback and the expected
and unexpected benefits. They do an in-depth analysis of how
well the course worked.

The students must then define (operationally) some next round
improvements for me and for themselves.  They must also
prepare a short paragraph of advice for entering students to
help them be effective in the course.  This final exam (yes
it does count) helps me to get useful feedback on the course
and also to see how well they can transfer their analysis,
synthesis, and operational planning skills to a more generic
skill level.  I use this type of feedback in several
different levels courses and I can really see the growth in
students.  They also learn to see the systematic approach
that I use.

Sue Mackler <[log in to unmask]>
Holyoke Community College