Clive Buckley wrote:

> One major worry I have about the move towards move
> "student-centred", "student-lead" or PBL type learning is
> the potential loss of contact between myself and the
> students. One of the great joys of this job is the contact
> with students - it is something I would hate to lose.
>
> I'd be interested to hear from colleagues who are perhaps
> further down the PBL line than we at NEWI how they dealt
> with the reduced contact (from the job satisfaction
> viewpoint). Do you enjoy your job more or less now ?

I'd like to make two points in response:

1) I understand the worry about losing job satisfaction, but
our priority must surely be what is best for students, not
what gives us most joy. I have found, in discussions with
colleagues in which we have attempted to draw the boundaries
on our role as teachers, that there is an area of the job
satisfaction we feel which is ethically questionable. Are we
clear to what extent our satisfaction is simply the
reinforcement of power and authority which we receive from
our traditional relation to students?  Dependent students do
make you feel valued, but is that helpful, to students,
or,ultimately, to ourselves?

2) Having been significantly involved in moving courses
towards a 'student-centred' approach, I can only say that my
personal enjoyment has increased, as I see more independently-
minded, rational and analytical students, who are able to
provide valuable insights of their own. There's as much
pleasure in successfully preparing and facilitating a good
learning experience which encourages independence as their
is in 'teaching' (if that makes sense).

My answer to Clive's last question is that I enjoy the job
more, not less.  (Come on in, the water's lovely!)

best wishes

Barry Jackson