I would agree with Marty's comments about the student not
being the only customer.  In fact, I am not very comfortable
with the term "customer" being used to refer to students
because it is too often used to imply that the student will
dictate the choice of curriculum content.  As Marty points
out, there are other members of the educational system's LO
whose financial support makes learning possible and whose
needs should be addressed in the classroom as well.  Perhaps
faculty should play a role in bringing about a harmony among
these various needs?

In my collaborative planning sessions with students, I share
with them data from our community and college showing that
taxpayers finance over 75% of their education and that these
taxpayer's indicate that the primary reason for providing
the subsidy is to improve the quality of our county's labor
force.  As a member of the classroom unit whose salary is
paid by these taxpayers, I indicate that I feel a
responsibility for meeting their needs as well.  So far,
this has not posed much of a conflict for me since most of
my students are taking classes in order to enhance their
job-related opportunities.

Of course, I teach in the Business Management Department
where the diversity of interests among members of the LO may
not be so diverse.  What I am suggesting as a possibility
simply may not be appropriate to other disciplines.

cherie gracie