To further explain the paired course that I am proposing, students read
college level texts and are taught how to improve note taking and test
taking in a college level course.  Maybe, this course should not be considered
developmental.

Also, at our university, some students are already taking a math course
for institutional credit and an English course.  Thus, their first
semester they would have three courses without graduation credit if this
new course was not paired and not for credit.  I also find that students
respond much better to credit courses and work harder so learning is
increased.  Motivation is very important and even if there is only one
credit with a grade, the students strive for that grade.

I hope that this helps explain why I think a paired course in reading
should have credit.

Jackie Simon
Rider University