Jackie -

Maybe our system won't be of any use to you because we are a two instead of
four year institution.  For what it's worth, we offer ENG093D, our
developmental reading course, in the first eight weeks of a sixteen week
semester and then offer PSY121S or SOC121S in the same time period for
the second eight weeks.

This has several advantanges.  First, to make the in-class hours
equivalent, the reading instructor sees students for twice as many
hours a week as a normal class.  The instructor also gears the reading
course toward either the psych or soci book depending on which course that
particular developmental reading has in its time slot.  Second, the
psych and soci instructors like it because the students are coming in
with some background knowledge of the subject.  Third, the students take
the bitter medicine of a non-credit bearing developmental class well
because they receive credit in the second half of the semester.  They
no longer view that time slot as "wasted."

My two cents worth, although I'm not quite sure you should pay that
much for it! :)
 - Amy K. Berlin
   Edison Community College