I don't know if our system will help anyone else but here it is for
what it's worth:

We are a two year college and we run, concurrently, a semester schedule,
an eight week "half term" schedule, a four week "modular" schedule, and
various one, five and ten week courses for other reasons at seemingly
random times.

We solved the "I don't want to take it because it's not credit" problem
by offering eight weeks of ENG093 (Developmental Reading) backed by
eight weeks of either PSY121 or PSY121 (Intro Psych or Intro Soci).
The reading teachers are happy because they have twice as much classroom
time per week with the students and can gear their instruction towards
a specific text (psych or soci depending on the section).  The psych and
soci instructors are happy because their students come in with some
prior knowledge of the course content and intact writing skills.  The
students are happy because they get three hours of "real credit" from
the second eight week segment while only using up one slot of "real
time" from their degree programs.

Long explaination but I hope it helps someone!

 - Amy K. Berlin
   Edison Community College