I'm really surprised to hear that another California State University
(Long Beach) gives credit for a developmental course.  At San Jose State
University, we offer two levels of developmental reading/writing courses
that are required for students who don't test out of them.  Each course
gets 5 units but they do not count for graduation credit - only for
full-time student status.  What's more, grades for these courses (A,B,C,
NC) do not compute in the students' g.p.a.  I (and of course my students) wish
they did count in the g.p.a. because a great deal of work is required, but I
do understand why a pre-baccalauriate level course doesn't receive
credit.  In the summer, our developmental course is linked with a
content area, general ed. course during our Summer Bridge Program (an
intensive 5 week program for at-risk special admits.), but no credit is
given.

During the regular session, several adjunct reading/study skills classes
are offered to accompany content courses, but again... no credit.

I see both sides of the credit vs. no credit issue, but I must admit that
I find it difficult to give college credit for reading or writing courses
that are specifically designed for students who are judged to be below
college level in those areas.

If anyone reading this has specific knowledge of the credit course(s) at
Long Beach State, I'd love to hear more.

Lonna Smith
Linguistics & Language Development Dept.
San Jose State University