>From:  MX%"[log in to unmask]"  3-MAY-1995 15:33:13.18
>To:    MX%"[log in to unmask]"
>CC:
>Subj:  Re: students' role

>Reply to Lori regarding students who refuse to involve themselves in their
>learning:

Lori,

I have been considering the same question over the last couple of
semesters in my developmental writing course.  Because of this, I
attended a collaborative learning workshop at the AAHE conference.
From it, I gleaned some advice that, I really "knew" but wasn't
keeping in the forefront of my mind.  First, introduce the concept
slowly, alloting short portions of early classes to "warmup"
activities. Second, keep the first exercises highly structured. Third at
the end of each of the first few exercises, have students write a one
minute response about the process and nature of the exercise. I found
that I had been taking more of a "plunge" approach in my enthusiasm
for the learning process.  I would never enter a cold swimming pool
like that!