Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 01:45:27 -0400
From: Cherrlyn Eller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: using email w/students
Sender: "Higher Education Processes Discussion (HEPROC)"
To: Multiple recipients of list HEPROC-L <[log in to unmask]>
Approved-By:  Carl Reimann <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Carl, The recent discussion on using the internet and email
with students brings to my mind a growing concern, that of
copyright.  I'd like to hear how others respond to this
issue in relationship to email and the internet.

For several quarters now, I've been using email and internet
assignments with my upper-division writing students. When I
receive a particularly good response to an email assignment,
I send it as a model--with my comments--to the rest of the
class.  Before using email, I would simply read the
students' responses to the rest of the class.

Just last quarter, a student sent a particularly good
analogy of the internet, and I passed it on to the other
students asking for their responses.  At the end of the
quarter--after grades were turned in--the student who wrote
it came to me saying I violated her copyrights because I did
not receive her approval before I sent it to the other
students.

For future reference, should I obtain written approval from
all students at the beginning of the quarter?  How does this
apply to listserves? or other groups where writers' messages
get posted.  Have they signed written approval forms? (I
never have, yet my messages get posted.)  In what kind of
catagory are the class email assignments? They aren't the
same as a list, but in some sense they are a list or a news
group or a class group list.  What are the copyright laws in
these areas?  I don't want to violate anyone's rights, nor
do I want mine violated.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Cherrlyn Eller <[log in to unmask]>
Dept of Management
California State University
I would think that a problem of this kind could be averted
with a small amount of communication between Cherryl and her
students. What do you think?               -Carl