Joyce Hedrick wrote that she has a list of assignments for math journals.
Would it be possible to share that list with the LRNASST list? I use
journals in an iontermediate algebra developmental class I teach at
Capre Cod Community College. I have the students summarize the chapter in
their own words, usually sectioj by section, and make up examples of the
concepts studied for their future reference. I also encourage students to
write about their feeling and reactions to what they are doing in class and
outside of class and how they are performing. I promise to write back in the
journal with my observations or answers to questions. I formally collect the
journals about every two weeks so often students have their questions asnwered
or my observations are not appropriate to their comments at the time they made
them. Often their concerns are addressed by class activities.
    I find that their writing about what concerns them is a great tension
reliever and opens up a line of communication that they are unaware is
possible in a math class. They also are surprised to be asked to write in a
math class but they do find it to be very helpful. They would not think on
their own to outline and paraphrase a math text section yet it is very natural
for them to do that in history or psychology.

If anyone else has had experience using math journals I would appreciate hearingabout your process and experiences. DOES ANYONE GRADE JOURNALS AND IF SO HOW?

Ted Panitz  [log in to unmask]