I have only statistical information on the students in my reading class
who are also in our Nursing Assistant Course.  During the four years I
have taught the course, the students have shown improvement in
reading comprehension by the end of each semester.
        We use one of the Bazerman texts, but we also use The Human Body
series of texts.  In the Nursing Assistant Course they use the regular
textbook (I cannot find the title) - a much more difficult book.  The
instructors of the Nursing Assistant courses state that the students who
take my course do far better in the Nursing Assistant course than those
students who should have taken my course, but did not.