I am rather late in joining this discussion on developmental reading
courses but I wonder if part of the problem is that our students don't
generalize and transfer skills very well.  The reason they may do better
in the specific disciplines is because reading skills are often content
specific.  I tell my students that most subjects have a frame of thinking
or a set of "expert questions" that help them understand the reading and
the purpose of the author.  Some professors convey this to their students
and others leave it to the students to figure out.  As a Learning
Assistance Program director, I would prefer to act as consultant to
professor to help them teach reading through the course content.  In this
way, you are also teaching problem solving in that particular discipline.
A beneficial side effect is that you also raise the awareness of the
professors of what it means to learn and what it means to teach.
Sandra Chadwick
Wake Forest University