Amy Drees stated
<We have a method for extending the instructional
period which does seem to help our developmental students, the "IP" grade.>

    We have a similar approach and use an "R" grade for repeat without penalty.
Our policy states that a student has successfully completed a portion of the
course but was unable to finish all the requirements. It is nice and vague
and allows lots of leeway. We are trying to a system that encourages students
to stay with the developmental program. We have an informal agreement not to
fail any student who has made a sincere effort in a developmental class.

    It would be great if we could convince students to take their time an
learn the material but they feel a great deal of pressure to make up for lost
time and time is money to them. I guess it is somewhat like experiential
learning concepts. The students must live through the experience to see for
themselves what we as advisors already know. Perhaps it is a good experience
for them in the long run and it does mirror what happens in life.

Ted Panitz   [log in to unmask]