>>Date:    Thu, 3 Aug 1995 07:10:02 -0500
>>From:    Alton Jamison <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Tutor scheduling software
>>
>>Does anyone have a recommendation for software to schedule tutor/tutee
>>sessions?  We've been using one locally developed in the late 80's, and are
>>trying to develop an update using Foxpro, but if a good one already exists,
>>I'd appreciate the reference.
>>Thanks.
>>Al.
>>
>>A.L. Jamison, Ph.D.
>>Director, Student Advising and Learning Center
>>Cleveland Hall 57
>>Washington State University
>>Pullman, WA 99164-2105
>>(509) 335-6000

Al,

I developed a group-tutoring scheduling program for our Math&Science
Learning Center.  The program looks at students' needs and tutors' abilities
and both students and tutors schedules and matches small groups of students
with a tutor for a particular course at a date and time they all
can meet.  The program handles requests from about 350 students per
semester, totaling more than 1000 requests for tutoring (each student may
request up to three courses). Sessions are set for 1.5 hrs once a week and
can be scheduled between 9 am and 6:30 pm.  Groups are set to a minimum of 3
people but this number can be varied.  We also control how many groups can
be active at any one time.  There's no limit on the number of
students or tutors.

The program has been in use since 1990. This is a custom-made
system but could, if there's enough interest, be ported to a standard
language like C or C++.

ring me if you want more info.
--
Guillermo Uribe, Ph.D.