Yesterday I had lunch with Sophie Freud. While slurping mushroom soup, I
read her keynote speech given at the CRLA Annual Conference in 1994. It's
in the new volume of the Journal of College Reading and Learning. I
recommend it. One part which i am going to use with my tutors in
September begins like this:

I have spent quite a bit of professional time propagating the concept of
"overloving" which I define as controlling children for their own good,
intruding into their lives for their protection, not letting them learn
from their own mistakes, all because of our great love for them.
Overloving is an excellent example of too much of a good thing turning
into its opposite, and , how often less is better than more. (p. 9)

Enjoy.

Jim Bell                                Ph. (604) 960-6365
Learning Skills Centre                  Fax (604) 960-6330
University of Northern BC               email [log in to unmask]
3333 University Way
Prince George, BC