I incorporate writing in reading, spelling, and vocabulary classes,
summarizing is usually very difficult for the students.  They do
reasonably well when given the outline or map - except many of them
have difficulty creating sentences.  Left alone, they return to
concentrating on details instead og the main ideas - and not the most
important details either.