Hi Ina,
I am not sure if you remember me, but I am Laurie Levinger's
sister-in-law who runs an academic support program at Rider University.
I am just in for a few hours each week and I saw your message on my
E-mail and thought I would respond.

We have a 3 credit elective course from the English Department that
combines writing theory with tutor training in writing.  Even though the
sections are small (3-10) we have been able to hold the class every fall
for about four years.  The Dean let's it run because otherwise the
faculty would complain that our student tutors in writing are not
qualified to tutor.

The students are selected after an interview with the English professor.
They are asked to submit a writing sample and must have a 3.0 or better
though the student tutors we have hired are usually 3.5 students.
Our tutors are certified nationally at all three levels by College
Reading and Learning Association which would not be possible without this
36 hour course.

If you have any more questions, just write back.  I hope that this will
encourage you to start such a class.  We have not tried it for general
tutoring because of the large numbers of tutors who generally don't tutor
more than a few hours a week.

Say hi to Laurie if you see her.

Jackie Simon