>Sheila -
>
>The one area that I may be missing as I try to work with my developmental
>students' often futile attempt to summarize is, in your words,"making
>predictions as to content and organization," and then "refining predictions."
>What do you do to get students to make and then refine predictions? If you have
>specifics, I'll try them, because I have been doing all the other things you
>mention. What has worked best, of course, is modeling, and this has been a big
>help, but I'm not satisfied yet.
>
>Bill B

I tell them that  readers have information that may be correct , incorrect,
or incomplete.  When they read, they either reinforce what they know,
correct misinformation, add to their knowledge, or when confused ask for
more information.  They make an initial prediction based on a preview of
the material and their prior knowledge.  As they read, they paraphrase and
compare their prediction with what they are reading, a paragraph or more at
a time.

Marian Wronsky
Instructor of Reading
De Anza College