>>Date:    Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:50:04 -0500
>>From:    Linda Pappas <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Need Info Please
>>
>>I have been asked by my administrators to provide the names of similar
>>types or sizes of institutions that have comprehensive learning
>>assistance.  By that, I think they mean, a learning center that provides
>>tutor training and services, supplemental instruction, technology, study
>>skills, etc, etc. Creighton  University is a Jesuit institution with a
>>diversity of programs.  Our current enrollment is approximately 6300.
>>Our undergraduate program includes Arts and Sciences, Business, and
>>Nursing.  We have a medical school, law school and dental school.
>>Doctorate programs are available in physical therapy, occupational
>>therapy and pharmacy.  There is also a bachelors degree available in OT.
>>There is also a graduate school that offers masters and doctorates in a
>>number of areas.  We do have a writing center and a math lab.  As the
>>Academic Success Counselor in the Counseling Center my services are
>>available to all students.  I do teach an academic success course to
>>undergraduates.  I would be interested in communicating with any colleges
>>or universities that serve similar populations in a comprehensive center
>>format.  Thank you for your help.

Linda,

The University of Arizona, a public land-grant institution with about 35,000
students, maintains the University Learning Center.  The Center provides
direct services that integrate students to the university community and
prepare them to become effective and independent learners.  The Center
offers all of the services you referred to plus academic counseling and peer
advising to students, primarily Freshmen and Sophomore.  We also have
programs and services aimed at supporting students from minority background
or in financial need.

The center provides close contact (several hours/term) to more than 3000
students every semester; it also provides academic assessment services to
all incoming students.

For more information contact Sylvia Mioduski, our Director, at
[log in to unmask] or call 520-621-1206

--
Guillermo Uribe, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Systems Support.