with respect to the question of hiring tutors . . . .

In addition to checking on GPA and faculty recommendations, we try for
recommendations from existing tutors.  Often, in fact, we will jokingly
tell tutors that we will hack into the mainframe and make it impossible
for them to graduate unless they find their replacement.

Seriously, encouraging the tutors to find (and mentor and train in some
cases) their replacements works very well for us because of tutors know
our system and our population.  Bringing tutors into the loop is also a
way of reminding the tutors how much we value them and a way of
reinforcing the tutors' connections with their academic discipline.

Vicki L. Hill
Director of Learning Enhancement
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275