Carol Lawton and I have been collaborating on rationale we can present to
faculty and curriculum committees on giving content credit - in this case
psychology credit  - for paired classes.
We thought you might have some other thoughts to add to the following e-mail
from myself to Carol.
You may either post your responses to LRNASST or send them directly to Carol
or myself.
Our e-mail addresses are
Kathy Thayer - [log in to unmask]
Carol Lawton- [log in to unmask]

________

It was good to talk to you today.  One of the points I made to the
Department Head is that there is already a precedent for giving credit for
"help" classes in Engineering.  It's possible you already have some paired
classes on campus that you might use as a precedent.

Another factor is that the content they will be learning is the same content
as will be used in the Psych class. In other words the content meets the
standards set by your university.   I assume the class is open to all
students so that everyone has the same opportunity to get this credit.

They will also be learning new skills - skills which are derived directly
from research being done in the area of psychology such as SQ3R and memory
improvement and applying it to a content area.  Application of course is the
most difficult phase of learning.

You might also use the syllabus to show the depth of the material covered
and how they will be graded.
It's important that faculty understand that students will not get credit for
"showing up" but will have to demonstrate a certain "mastery level" either
through projects or tests.

I emphasize that the course objectives do not include  tutoring the students
in Psych but to apply the study skills content.  You are not tutoring them
on the content in a lecture but discussing methods/strategies for thinking
about and organizing content in lecture notes or in a study guide.

Plans for evaluation of success of the program either by demonstrating
retention or mean gpa improvement are also of interest.