I have another request re the amount of traffic.  Sometimes messages
that are clearly not of general interest are sent to the whole
listserv rather than just to the person they are addressed to.
I'm thinking about requests for copies of a document
that one listserver has offered, for example.  We *all*
don't need to know when one person wants a copy of a course
syllabus.  If my system is typical, the sender's name and ID are
posted at the beginning of the email, even if the sender doesn't
think to type it at the end of the message.  Some thought
about personal requests before sending them
could cut down on a lot of unnecessary traffic.