My approach may not work for many classes.... but could probably be adapted
for several courses.

For my class in STUDENT SUCCESS STRATEGIES (called "Becoming A Successful
Student), I end the class by asking students to finish the following sentence
TEN times  - - -

"I am becoming a student who... "

Students finish the sentence by writing, for example,

"...attends every class session of a course."
"...understands that I create my grade in classes."
"...gets help early in the semester when I'm having problems."
"...takes responsibility for putting together a study group in classes that
are difficult for me."
...etc...

They write this on 3-part NCR paper. They get to keep the bottom copy. I get
the top copy (good feedback for me!). The second copy goes into an envelope
which they address to themselves.  I keep the stack of envelopes and mail
them so that they receive them a day or two before the start of the following
semester, as a reminder of the skills they developed and commitments to
change that they made the prior semester.

Dean Mancina, Golden West College, Huntington Beach California

(I learned this activity from DAVE ELLIS, author of the textbook "Becoming A
Master Student," at one of College Survival, Inc.'s regional student success
seminars held around the U.S.  More information about their seminars and
workshops by calling them at 1.800.528.8323.)