In all writing classes (below regular rfeshman comp)  at SBCC students
are required to build a portfolio; they students generally complete
5-6 essays and 2 practice timed essays.  Students choose 3 for their
assessment portfolio;  the departmental timed essay is also included.
 The English and Essential Skills departments meet jointly to norm;
the writing faculty of each department form teams or groups to
evaluate portfolios.  In ES, instructors submit only those portfolios
with which they need assistance; if an instructor knows a student has
not made sufficient progress or one who definetely has, the
instructor does not submit these portfolio.  So, what we read and
evaluate are portfolios that are "borderline" passing or that are
recommended for a 2-level jump (we have 3 levels of developmental
writing classes below freshmen comp).

Using our local rubric, the teams do a "blind" reading and rate each
portfolio.  EAch portfolio is read by 2 instructors and portfolios
receiving "Split" level scores have a third reader.  No one  reads
and rates his/her own student'sessays/ portfolios.  If an instructor
disagrees with the portflio score, he/she can "over-ride" it by
consulting with the Director of Assessment, Director of Writing, or
the chairs of his/her respective department.  Classes are canceled
the day of portfolio assessment, and adjunct faculty are paid to
attend the norming as well as the reading and evalualtin of
portfolkios.

We have been using this system for at least 4 years, and it's the one
we're "happiest" with.