The most successful students, in my experience, are the ones who
really (and I mean *really*) work with their lecture notes:  revising
(not recopying), adding info they remember but did not have time to
jot down in lecture, identifying points they do not fully understand,
comparing their notes with a classmate, generating potential test
questions, incorporating reading notes, studying them weekly if not
daily....you get the idea.  I always tell them that their notes are
the best deal in higher ed: the professor does hours of prep and they
only have to listen for an hour or two.  Their goal should be to make
their notes from each course a kind of supplemental text book to
which they can refer on down the road.  One student who was nearly
too compulsive about the process said it best:  I'm paying close to
2K per course and I [expletive] well want to have something to show
for it.