I am looking for some concrete advise.  Over the past several
weeks I have read with interest the many ideas and responces
that have generated from this list.  At this point in the
semester I am wrapping up my work with the study groups.  Although
the task is not that difficut since so many of the groups have
dwindled.  I am always greatful for the opportunity of a new
semester--that fresh feeling is so healthy and hopefully I will be
able to implement new ideas that will strengthen the program.

This is what I am thinking ... perhaps I need to reconsider the
hiring process of all the tutors.  In the past we have relied
upon teacher recommendation and GPA and the fact that they say
"yes" despite the mimimum wage.  I am guessing that is not enough!
What do other Learning Skill Centers do when in the process of
hiring.  Might there be a list of meaty questions that would
be helping in seperating the interested from the qualified.
Often times we are in such a hurry to begin the tutoring program
that we make do with what is at hand.  Rather than see the
group grow it often fails.

Ideas?

Teresa Hoercher
Cayuga Community College