I would like responses on this topic.

My daughter called last night, quite upset. She teaches an evening
Reading class at the Miami-Dade Community College.  She and her
students have been working very hard all term to increase the
student's
reading and vocabulary skills.  On Monday evening, all students in this class
were given a form of the Nelson-Denny  and  only if they score at
75% or higher can they pass the course, no matter what they have done for
the last 15 weeks.  My daughter is still suppose to give them a final exam
later this week, for what??? if only 2 students out of the 25 students
met the 75%  requirement?   This passing rate is very typical of the
other sections of the class, too.  If they didn't pass, they must
re-enroll for the next term.
Another issue is to whether or not students are informed
that this is the requirement.
Also, does it correlate to the material and texts used for the
course?
I may have the information on the policy wrong.  I hope that is the
case, it scares me that student's  college future depends on this one
test about which I have heard complaints.  Can someone
help us put this into perspective?
Comments will be welcome so I can share them with my daughter
before she faces her class on Wednesday night.
None of the above is applicable to my college.
Sharleen

Sharleen Gonzalez
Dean, General Education
Baker College