Perry:

I agree that your suggestion does much to solve "the content problem" in
verifying a potential tutor's content background. We already use this type
of system.

The situation I am describing now is slightly different.  It is one in
which the department is suggesting that the learning skills center will
need to provide customized  training for tutors who will support this
particular course according to the department's curricular and pedagogical
specifications for the course. If we are arriving at a point where how
tutoring is conducted is driven from expectations of an academic
department, are we moving from a student support model to an instructional
support model?  If you agree that there is a difference between student
support and instructional support, is instructional support the realm of
the learning center or the academic department?  Hopefully, this clarifies
the question I am raising.

Thanks

Georgine Materniak