If the college is using the Nelson-Denny as an exit exam for the course (not
that unusual) then it sounds like (I hope so) that there is some convusion
over the passing criterion.  Could it be the seventy fifth percentile (based
on one of the grade level sets of norming tables in the manual) rather than
75% correct?  I am not sure this makes a huge philosophical difference (e.g.
should one test have this impact on your future) but it does make a huge
practical difference (e.g. what is passing) and an important difference in
terms of test and measurement theory (e.g. the rationality and logic of the
cut off).

At 09:23 AM 12/10/96 EST, you wrote:
>I would like responses on this topic.
>
>My daughter called last night, quite upset. She teaches an evening
>Reading class at the Miami-Dade Community College.  She and her
>students have been working very hard all term to increase the
>student's
>reading and vocabulary skills.  On Monday evening, all students in this class
>were given a form of the Nelson-Denny  and  only if they score at
>75% or higher can they pass the course, no matter what they have done for
>the last 15 weeks.  My daughter is still suppose to give them a final exam
>later this week, for what??? if only 2 students out of the 25 students
>met the 75%  requirement?   This passing rate is very typical of the
>other sections of the class, too.  If they didn't pass, they must
>re-enroll for the next term.
>Another issue is to whether or not students are informed
>that this is the requirement.
>Also, does it correlate to the material and texts used for the
>course?
>I may have the information on the policy wrong.  I hope that is the
>case, it scares me that student's  college future depends on this one
>test about which I have heard complaints.  Can someone
>help us put this into perspective?
>Comments will be welcome so I can share them with my daughter
>before she faces her class on Wednesday night.
>None of the above is applicable to my college.
>Sharleen

>Sharleen Gonzalez
>Dean, General Education
>Baker College
>1050 West Bristol Road
>Flint MI 48507
>810-766-4107
>(810) - 766 - 4107  phone
>(810) - 766 - 4049  fax

          L. Scott Lissner                 [log in to unmask]
          201 High Street                  (804) 395-2392 (Voice)
          Longwood College                 (804) 395-2252 (Fax)
          Farmville, VA 23909-1899         (800) 828-1120 (TT)