I agree that the Nelson Denny should not be used as an exit test but I
have used it as a pre and post.  I test on the first day of class and I
inform students that they must improve.  The key, of course, is that I am
looking at where they are in the beginning and I expect the improvement
based on that.  I am not using a percentile which everyone must meet.  So,
if a student has a pre test score of 15 in vocabulary and a post test
score of 20, that student has shown improvement.

In reality, the majority of my students make great gains on the post test
version.  Even I am sometimes amazed at the growth.

*   Maureen Connolly            Phone: 630-844-5521
*   Learning Center Director    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
*   Aurora University
*   347 S. Gladstone
*   Aurora, Il 60506-4892