A while back someone asked about programs that allowed setting different
levels of access on Mac computers.  I guess I filed the question away in
the "Ooo, neat question." part of my brain and promptly forgot about it.
It resurfaced a few days ago because I was looking for some sw to install
on the Macs in TLC because I was getting real tired of Charles (my
techno-weenie cohort) and I having to spend a portion of every day
reinstalling software or unbollixing system sttings.

We're using a  program  called "At Ease"  which allows us to set up each
machine so users only have access to what we want them to be able to use.
It also keeps them from throwing our things away, messing with the system
settings, or saving files all over the place.  As a side benefit, it
actually makes the Macs easier for students to use once they get over the
shock of the new look (They see buttons instead of folders.).  It's an easy
program to install and configure, so there is a high comfort level for
non-techies.

There's also a program called "MacPrefect" which works well.  I've used
"Folderbolt," but have had some problems, particularly over a network. I
was also less than impressed with the user's manual and other
documentation.

Ed.