Linda, I suggest that you refer this person to NCTLA (The National Center
on Postsecondary Teaching, Learning, and Assessment) which is headquartered
at Penn State.

Actually, I recommend that you contact them and purchase their information
-- it is so rich with information on teaching.  The organization runs a
conference each spring called What Works and they publish several books and
booklets.  I have a copy of the conference materials from the first What
Works conference -- almost 400 pages that focus largely on collaborative
and cooperative learning and critical thinking.  Their materials are truly
wonderful and full of information relevant for us as well as the college
faculty.  Staff from NCTLA have been here as consultants for faculty, and
they know their stuff.

The presentations/papers from the first conference fall under major
headings which are:

Collaborative Learning by Method
Cooperative Learning
Electronic Collaboration
Learning Communities
Peer Teaching
Problem Centered Instruction
Team Learning

Issues
Assessment
Civic Responsibility
Diversity/Multiculturalism
Faculty Development
Group Process
Implementation (campus-wide)
Large Classes
Ibstackes
Testing/Grading

By Subject/Discipline
Calculus
Engineering

Designed for Specific Student Populations
At-Risk Students
Future Teachers

In addition, NCTLA publishes newsletters and other source books, such as
Collaborative Learning:  A Sourcebook for Higher Education Vol II.

Write to NCTLA; The Pennsylvania State University; 403 S. Allen Street,
Suite104; University Park, PA 16801-5252.  Phone is 814-865-5917.

>I just had a chemistry professor approach me with a request for written
>information on student processing and how to cultivate it.  He stated a
>frustration with junior level chemistry students who will not "go deep
>enough" into the information.  He claims that their learning is on the
>superficial level and he does know how to get them to think more
>analytically about the subject.  I should add that this individual has a
>"rep" on campus as being a very difficult instructor.  Does anyone have
>suggestions on resources I could direct him to that would address
>pedagogical issues around the teaching of scientific courses.  I really
>appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have!!
>
>Linda Pappas
>Creighton University

Good luck with this one, Linda!

Karen

Dr. Karen G. Smith, University Director     voice:908-932-1443
Learning Resource Centers                           fax:908-932-1453
College Avenue Campus                               email:[log in to unmask]
New Brunswick, NJ 08903