While not aimed at Jr. level science students I would suggest the approached
used in Art Whimbey and Jack Lochhead's Problem Solving and Analytical
Reasoning.  I would also suggest (ever so delicately) that the instructor
review his teaching to see how often the approach he wants students to take
is modeled.  So often as experts we do things implicitly that leaves the
novice at a loss.  The novice then trys to memorize steps in a cook book
fashion (seen as superficial by the expert) because he or she has never seen
the analytical process that resulted in those steps.

At 01:40 PM 12/12/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Seasons Greetings!
>
>I just had a chemistry professor approach me with a request for written
>information on student processing and how to cultivate it.  He stated a
>frustration with junior level chemistry students who will not "go deep
>enough" into the information.  He claims that their learning is on the
>superficial level and he does know how to get them to think more
>analytically about the subject.  I should add that this individual has a
>"rep" on campus as being a very difficult instructor.  Does anyone have
>suggestions on resources I could direct him to that would address
>pedagogical issues around the teaching of scientific courses.  I really
>appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have!!
>
>Linda Pappas
>Academic Success Counselor
>Creighton University
>Brandeis 203
>Omaha, NE  68178
>(402)280-2733 (office)
>(402)280-4773 (fax)

          L. Scott Lissner                 [log in to unmask]
          201 High Street                  (804) 395-2392 (Voice)
          Longwood College                 (804) 395-2252 (Fax)
          Farmville, VA 23909-1899         (800) 828-1120 (TT)