OK scouts--a few days ago I gave you the info about the ARF conference and
its mission.  Now I'll follow-up on the info about NRC.  For those that
already know this stuff---skip down a few paragraphs.  I'll start with a
couple paragraphs from this year's conference program.

The National Reading Conference is a professional organization composed of
individuals who share an interest in research and dissemination of
information about literacy.  NRC's annual conference ends on the first Sat.
in December.  The program consists of round tables, sessions with
nontraditional formats, symposia, paper sessions, and keynote addresses.

In addition to sponsoring the annual conference, NRC publishes a quarterly
journal---Journal of Literacy Research--and the NRC Yearbook, which
contains reviewed papers from the previous year's conference.  To support
these activities, NRC maintains a full-time administrative staff and office
in Chicago, IL.

For more inf0---e-mail

This year the 46th conference was in Charleston, SC.  Each year it moves
back and forth across the lower/warmer parts of the country.  Next year the
conference will be in AZ.  The group started as the Southwest Reading
Conference, and the mission was to promote better research and teaching for
college/adult reading instruction.  Today the group is friendly to our
field, but the college reading aspect is hardly at the forefront.  There is
greater interest in adult literacy research.  Historically, the conference
has been the place where the best research in the field has been presented
each year.  At one time it was a home for rabbid number crunchers, but now
it is clearly open to all ways of expanding our understanding of the field.
 At one time it was mostly male in gender--now it is about 75% female (the
good old boys aspect is not so apparent as once upon a time).

There were a few sessions on college reading/learning presented----I'll
list each and provide the primary author plus an e-mail address.

Faculty Members Perceptions of Academic Literacy  Tasks,  Michele Simpson,
Univ of GA ([log in to unmask])

Janie: a Case Study of Reflection and Determination, Karen Burrell, Univ of
GA (not in NRC conference directory)

Adjunct Seminars as a Way of Defining Academic Academic Tasks, Sherrie
Nist, Univ of GA ([log in to unmask])

Does High and Low Spelling Ability Cause High and Low Reading Rate for Poor
Reading College Students, Ron Carver, Univ of MO at KC

Expectations Based on story Grammar Can Hinder College Freshman's
Appreciation of Open-form Short Stories,  Stephen Simonson, College of the
Desert ([log in to unmask])

Understanding At-risk College Learners: Exploring Metacognitve awareness,
Learning strategy Use, and Perceived Attributions for Successful and
Unsuccessful Academic Outcomes, Amelia E. El-Hindi, TX Tech Univ
([log in to unmask]   or  [log in to unmask])

Turning it around: What College students do to Improve Their Performance in
Biology Courses, Sherrie Nist, Univ of GA ([log in to unmask])

An Analysis of College entrance Examinations, Ruth Knudson, CSU--Long Beach
(not in conference directory)

Selling undergraduates on college courses designed with constructivist
principles
: should we? how do we?  Margaret Radencich, Univ of S FL

I hope that I did not skip over any session that dealy with college
reading--etc.---I did not list any sessions that deal with adulty
litereacy/workplace literacy.

It would be great to see a greater number of college reading sessions at
the NRC conference next year.  A proposal to present can come your way by
contacting---Martha Rapp Ruddell----- ([log in to unmask])  (I
think)

Go Crazy