From:  CECELIA E LANDERS
I am unable to resist giving at least a brief response to your excellent
questions. I would just like to make the following points:
     1.  I would not assign a particular tutor to a particular set of persons.P
People have different teaching skills and styles.  That is one of the reasons
whystudents need tutors to begin with.  There is no universal way to get a mess
age across.  It would be better to have several tutors available to whomever
shows up at a tutoring site.
     2.  Tutoring is one of the best ways a person can learn.  Perhaps a neighb
oring college can provide students willing to volunteer.  Future teachers are
excellent candidates.  Also, perhaps you can offer rewards such as extra holida
y time to an talented cadet willing to tutor his peers.
     3.  At out tutoring site, we avoid the concept of a private tutor.  Our tu
tors are regarded as 'trouble shooters'.  Students come to the tutoring site to
 do their assignments.  When they get stuck, the tutor does just enough to get
them past the difficulty, so that they can continue on their own.  The idea is
to avoid excessive frustration and wasted time by getting the student on with t
the productive effort of doing their homework, etc.  We also encourage study pa
rtners, exploring other learning resources (videos, computers, etc.), and learn
ing study skills.  Our goal is to provide a student with the tools to problem s
solve when we are no longer available.  We do not want to become a crutch!
    4.  As for the issue of collaboration,  I cannot think of a more teamwork b
ased group than the military.  Good teamwork requires training, and what better
place to start than at the level of intellectual problem solving.  Of course
teamwork can be abused.  The solution is not to eliminate teams, but rather to
provide strong leadership and guidance on the appropriate usage of teamwork.