Sorry, I inadvertently deleted the message with the original question
concerning how to get students to go more deeply into course material.
Thus, I am attaching my response to Linda's comminique hoping those
interested will view it.

Last summer I attended a two-day workshop at Sonoma State University on
infusing critical thinking into the content.  The Workshop was conducted by
Dr. Richard Paul, director for the Foundation For Critical Thinking,Santa
Rosa, CA.  The workshop and the International Conference on Critical
Thinking that followed were excellent.  I have since purchased for our
learning center two sets of video tapes produced by Dr. Paul to teach students
 to think thoroughly about content material.

The "HOW TO TEACH SERIES: A Critical Thinking Approach to Teaching and
Learning" is a series of nine one-hour videos which focus on how to devise
assignments and activities that take students into a new paradigm for
learning that fosters critical reasoning about any content.  As Dr. Paul
suggests, all subjects have a logic to them, and each is a system of meanings
that enable students to reason effectively.

"How to Teach Through Socratic Questioning" is a series of three
videos that demonstrate that questions, not answers, are the
driving force in thinking.  Both the series provide methods for
teaching students to reason and assume responsibility for their
own learning.

I am currently reviewing our approach to tutoring and how to
encorporate many of these ideas into our tutor training program.  We want
to go beyond our current practices and teach our students that learning
is thinking about the content and the process, then demonstrate how to
think thoroughly about any content.

Those interested in critical thinking may want to tap into the
info provided at http://www.sonoma.edu/cthink/

Dee Bost
Coordinator, Sears Learning Center
Harding University