Subject: for your amusement
   Date: 13 Dec 96 13:01:20 EST
   From:  <[log in to unmask]>
     To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>,

     Retirement from a Child's View

     Following winter break, a teacher asked her young pupils how they
     spent their holidays.  One small child wrote the following:

     We always used to spend the holidays with Grandpa and Grandma.  They
     used to live here in a big brick house, but Grandpa got retarded and
     they moved to Florida.  Now they live in a place with a lot of other
     retarded people.

     They all live in little tin boxes.  They ride on big 3-wheeled
     tricycles and they all have name tags because they don't know who they
     are.  They go to a big building called the wrecked hall, but they must
     have got it fixed, because it's all right now.  They play games and do
     exercises there, but they don't do them very good.  There is a
     swimming pool there, but they stand in it with their hats on .  I
     guess they don't know how to swim.

     As you go in their park, there is a doll house with a little man
     sitting in it.  He watches all day so they can't get out without him
     seeing them.  When they can sneak out, they go to the beach and pick
     up shells.

     My Grandma used to bake cookies and stuff, but I guess she forgot how.
      Nobody cooks much, they just eat out.  They eat the same thing every
     night:  early birds.  Some of the people don't know how to cook at
     all, so my Grandma and Grandpa bring food into the wrecked hall and
     they call it "pot luck."

     My Grand ma says Grandpa worked all his life and earned his
     retardment.  I wish they would move back up here, but I guess the
     little man in the doll house won't let them out!

--
Jim Melko
Director, Learning Assistance