Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 10:05:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul Hager <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Position announcement

When I sent through my bio. statement, I appended an announcement about a new
position at Berea College.  Since some of you may be, like me, inundated with
local email as well as netserve stuff, I thought you might open this one.  This
position will begin upon my retirement July 1, 1997.

BEREA COLLEGE  -- NEW POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

Associate Dean for Student Academic Services

Berea College invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate
Dean for Student Academic Services.

Berea  College is a four-year institution devoted to undergraduate education
rooted in the liberal arts.  The College's mission includes special commitments
to students of limited economic means and high ability, the Appalachian region,
interracial and intercultural education, and the development of perspectives and
values deeply informed by the Christian faith.  A full tuition scholarship for
each student and a work program in which all students participate have long been
distinctive features of Berea College.  Though many students are the first in
their families to attend college, Berea ranks among the leading colleges in the
South in the percentage of graduates who earn Ph. D. degrees.  The College is
located 40 miles south of Lexington, Kentucky in the town of Berea (pop.
10,000).

Under the direction of the Academic Vice President and Provost, the Associate
Dean's responsibilities will include:
   planning and administering the academic advising program
   collaborating with faculty, academic and student life administrators, staff
and students in planning and administering effective programs for orientation,
retention, and early warning intervention with special focus on the first year
experience
   helping to coordinate programs for advising, career development, placement,
and internships
   coordinating processes related to the evaluation of student academic
progress
   providing administrative support for independent studies, independent
majors,  and student exchanges
   providing advising for students in academic difficulty
   teaching at least one course per year
   coordinating the application, selection and recognition of students for
internal academic awards and prizes and for external domestic scholarship and
fellowship opportunities, e.g., Truman and Goldwater
   collaborating with faculty, administrators and staff in pursuit of
opportunities for extending the learning environment beyond the classroom to the

residence hall, the labor assignment, and all campus offices and programs that
touch the lives of students

Preferred qualifications for the position include:
   an earned doctorate
   successful teaching and advising experience as a faculty member in a small
residential college with liberal arts foundation and outlook
   3-5 years administrative experience in and knowledge of areas related to
advising and retention
   strong skills in oral and written communication, counseling and advising
   leadership style that promotes teamwork, enhances creativity and builds
consensus
   knowledge of and experience with computer based management of student
records
   ability to lead in shaping and implementing effective support programs for
student learning

Applicants should send a letter describing interest and qualifications,
curriculum vitae, transcripts and at least three letters of reference to Susan
Vaughn, Office the Academic Vice President and Provost, Berea College, Berea, KY

40404.  Review of applications will begin by January 27 and continue until the
position is filled.  Starting date is July 1, l997.  In keeping with the
College's emphasis on the dignity and worth of all persons, Berea encourages
applications from women and members of minority groups.   Applicants are
considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or
disability.