Heather asked about tutoring ESL students: Here's my reply.  M. Maxwell
What language/culture is the student from that are you involved in tutoring ESL.
There is no general template that will fit all languagesor students. But there
are  a few  helpful hints.

For information on conttrastive language analysis and points of interference in
learning Englishm for Chinese & Asian languages, Spanish, Black English,  , see
chapter on writing and ESL AND the APPENDIX in my book   "Improving Student
Learning Skills" 1997 .  The Appendixx contains examples of problems in English
thatESL  students have difficultiy  in including  tone, stress, pronunciation,
consonant clusters, word endings, grammar, word order, articles, comparative and
superlative , spelling and in the chapter I disucss differences in rhetorical
organization.  Also there in the Appendixx is what I consider to be an
invaluable aid to writing for ESL students called "Sentence Combining"   - using
this chart of conjunctions etc., you can help students write much more
sophisticated essays with little effort - but they must learn the conjunctions -
a lot easier than sophisticated rules of syntax. .These will be invaluable in
giving insights to your tutors about working with Asian, Spanish-speaking and
other ESL students. : (Note: They are short enough to be xeroxed  and I'll give
you permission)

  (Book order information: M. Maxwell "Improving Student Learning Skills: New
Edition. (1997).H&H Publishing Co., 1232 Kapp Ave, Clearwatrer, FL 34625. Phone
1-800-366-4O79  $38.95  plus $6.50 mailing)

Also there are a number of case studies in my book "When Tutor Meets Student"
written by writing tutors who worked with ESL students.
  M. Maxwell
(Ed.)  WHEN TUTOR MEETS STUDENT. Published by the University of Mich. Press,
1994. Their address is U. M. Press, POBox
1104, Ann Arbor MI 48106 phone 313-763-0163
Here are a few descriptiongs:

What your tutors need

Your tutors will enjoy reading and discussing these tutor stories:

....How Po, a  Chines-American tutor copes with a huge and affectionate Samoan
tutee who can't keep her hands off him.

.....The conflict of culture and values when Rachel tries to tutor Ali.

...A Chnese-American tutor who was raised in South America helps a fourth
generation Mexican -American learn about her heritage. The tutor complains
that her student can't pronounce her own last name correctly.

...An Afro-American tutor feels that his role is misunderstood and explains why
he prefers to work with Black tutees.

...A Chinese-American tutor describes her admiration for a Cambodian tutee
who survived unspeakable hardships in her homeland.

....A tutor praises her ESL tutee for improving his paper only to discover that
he'd copied his sister's them which she had plagiarized from a textbook.

....A tutor tries to help a Vietnamese girl from a formerly wealthy and
powereful
family who's failing writing. Her instructor wrote r describing the street
people
and called it "racist."
and many more.

They're in "When Tutor Meets Student", University of Michigan Press, 1994. (Ref.
M. Maxcwell   (Ed.)  WHEN TUTOR MEETS STUDENT. . Their address is U. M. Press,
POBox  1104, Ann Arbor MI 48106 phone 313-763-0163     Cost: $16.95 plus $3.50
shipping.