> From:          Karla Voss <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       college motivation/readiness assessment
>

> I am looking for an assessment tool which would give us a good indication
> of a student's motivation and readiness for college outside of his/her
> academic abilities.
>
> I have looked at the Noel/Levitz: Retention Management System and was
> impressed with what I saw.  Does anyone out there use this system???  If
> so, what do you think??
>
> Thanks for the help!!

Karla, at DMACC  we're using the Noel-Levitz College Student Inventory
 in conjunction with Becoming a Master Student in our Orientation to
College course. We administer the inventory within the first two
weeks of class and meet individually with our students to discuss the
results. This is my first semester teaching the class, so I wasn't
sure whether the results would accurately reflect the students'
attitudes and concerns. All ten of them, however,  have said that in general the
results are on target. Of course, some items are obviously intended
for younger students and/or four-year schools. For instance, several
students were told to seek out more information about the school's
fraternity/sorority system (we have none at our community college).
But the information on the print-out provides a good jumping-off
point for a discussion with each student about how things are going
so far and what college services might be useful.

Sue Wickham
DMACC