Re computers replacing teachers:

It just occurred to me, at CUNY here in New York, when open admissions
first came in and they got hit with a large enrollment, large lecture
classes for intro courses came into vogue--the 100+ auditorium format.
These have gradually gone out of vogue as administrations realized
that they were not as effective.  At Baruch College where I adjuncted
this past semester, a study showed empirically that student achievement
was poorer in that format, and they dropped many of the large auditorium
classes for next fall.  Moral of the story:  Technology has its place,
but as for its replacing teachers inappropriately, can we be optimistic
that the really inefficient uses will eventually prove themselves
not cost-effective and get abandoned?  Am I being a pollyanna?
But after all, even those auditorium lectures are being reevaluated
at a time of budget cuts!

Annette Gourgey