Over the past few weeks, I have received many requests for the Tutor's
Code of Ethics in my tutor handbook.  Therefore, rather than faxing it
individually to all those who reponded, I decided to post it to the
entire list.

                ETHICS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Tutoring is a repsonsibility, and although there is no Hippocratic oath
such as doctors take when they enter the medical profession, there are
certain guidelines that help tutors do their jobs effectively.  These are
based on the experiences of peer tutors in other colleges and on the
ethical standards developed in related professions, such as teaching and
counseling.  Though many of these rules will seem obvious and
occasionally petty, there are important reasons - psychological, moral
and political - for following them.  Tutoring requires a delicate
balance; you must try to straddle the line between teacher and student
with grace, dignity and intelligence.

                TUTOR'S CODE OF ETHICS

* Subject proficiency and knowledge are a top priority.

* I will strive to build my tutee's confidence.

* The tutee receives my total attention at every session.

* I am able to admit my own weaknesses and seek assistance.

* I respect all students as individuals and accept them without judgment.

* I encourage students without giving false hope.

* I strive for mutual honesty and openness.

* I do not use tutoring time to impose my personal values or beliefs or
lifestyle upon others.