I am requesting information on tutor training ideas in working with ESL
students, particularly in English/writing.

Recently, the Learning Center's writing lab has had its first ESL student
request tutoring.  (We live in a fairly remote area in Michigan's Upper
Peninsula.)  Unfortunately, tutors have not received training in working
with ESL students because the need had never arisen before.  I will be
doing some research myself this summer, but cannot get to it immediately
due to prior committments.

I would like some tips, tidbits, insights, resources, etc. so I can
provide my summer writing tutors with immediate feedback (until I can get
to my own research).  Any information would be appreciated!!  And, if I
receive a number of responses, I can organize them and post them to the
list later this summer.

Thanks for your assistance!

Heather Newburg
Learning Center Director