The messages from Dave, Annette, Richard and Peggy were all thought
provoking and both encouraging and discouraging at the same time!  Yes,
I too think (hope) that in time administrators will see the computer as
a marvelous tool for teaching, learning and communication.  I don't know
how I'd get along without my computer, and now my internet access, but
has it replaced books, mentors and friends?  No!!

I'm happy to hear that Baruch College is rethinking the large class
size.  It shows they have concern for students. But here's the irony:
At the same time CUNY has signed a contract with Academic Systems that's
going to impact the education of developmental students.  One of their
selling points is that, with computed-mediated instruction, class sizes
can increase!

Why is it that administrators rather than educators make pedagogical
decisions?  Yes, I know the answer;  the question was rhetorical.
Computers aren't replacements for teachers, but the trend seems to be
just that.  Students learn more in smaller classes yet the University of
California system subjects its students to class sizes of 300+ on a
regular basis.  When my son was a freshman at that nobel institution, he
was one of 370 students in an econ. lecture. He felt sorry for himself
until he talked to some friends who were taking chemistry that was
broadcast via t.v. into multiple classrooms.  The prof. was from another
campus.  Pretty far to go to catch him in office hours!

What drives educational institutions?  Is it concern for the learners or
the almighty buck?

Well, my computer friends, I will leave this discussion.  And later on
tonight, I'll be signing off for a few weeks.  I'm going to England and
Scotland for 3 weeks, my first trip abroad, and I'm rrrreally excited!!!

Lonna Smith