The tutors and I would like to thank everyone for their information on music in the learning lab.  Whatever anyone else has to add to the topic will be appreciated.  If we do try music, we may start out with just the local NPR station since I don't want to make a large investment in the beginning.

The tutors next question is what about aromatherapy?  Several have mentioned that spearmint and lemon are conducive to enhancing brain activity.  One of the tutors has a diffuser and would be willing to bring it in so we could try it out on the summer school students.  I'm a bit concerned about allergies.  Don't let anyone tell you that just because New Mexico is more brown than green that we don't have allergies.  We just have different ones than greener areas of the country.

As you can tell, we are trying to make our center a bit more user friendly and homey.  We have put colorful posters on the wall and added plants, but we are looking for other ideas to help give the students a serene (somewhat anyway) place to study and learn.  We don't have any windows and our furniture is circa 1970 (avocado chair covers), but I'm sure there are many of you out there who are working on as limited a budget as we are who have made the center a place where people want to come.  Thanks in advance.

Nancy Picthall-French
Learning Resource Center
Western New Mexico University
Silver City, NM  88062