Sue - Thanks for letting me know that the Course Outline was received.
No, there have not been any turf wars.  Perhaps because we have been
through a five year restructuring process with a Title III Grant for the
developmental studies program.  The entire college was involved in the
pre-planning stages, as well as later.  One of the major complaints from
our English instructors was that students did not know how to write
research papers and that two semesters were not enough.  It was
suggested that we, the developmental studies instructors initiate
research in the developmental courses.  This course, a three credit
course, will work with the freshman English instructors as well as
instructors from other disciplines in order to strengthen as students
perception of how to read and write research papers.  Students who
have a major will be encouraged to select a topic from their major course
of study.  Another thing that helps us is that all of the developmental
reading instructors have either Master's Degrees in reading with 18
graduate hours in English or Master's Degrees in English with 18
graduate hours in reading.  Therefore, all of us also teach freshman
English 1 and 2 at some time or another.  On the other hand, not all of our
English instructors teach developmental classes, either reading or
writing.
>>> SUE M WICKHAM <[log in to unmask]> 08/06/97
08:57am >>>
Donna, thank you for sharing your course outline. The text sounds
great! Just out of curiosity--how have your colleagues in the English
department responded to this course? Any turf wars there? At my
institution, there would be considerable crossover between this class
and our second-semester freshman comp. course, which focuses on
expository and argumentative writing using research.

Sue Wickham
DMACC